Stomach upset when quitting weed?

GI upset is the most common physical symptom of marijuana withdrawal, affecting over 50% of users attempting to abstain, and can manifest itself in a multitude of ways. It might be nausea, food aversion, or loss of appetite.

Have you experienced stomach upset? Tell us about your symptoms, below.

1 Like

Not really an upset stomach, but definitely had a loss of appetite my second and third day. Day four, no real issue at all.

2 Likes

Sweating, nauseous, leg pain/weakness, had a major panic attack, anxiety, crabby. Probably more ugh

3 Likes

I probably wasn’t sure when I initially answered, but I have definitely felt nauseated. Actually, the symptoms were very mild if non-existent yesterday, but they seemed to have returned today… (Still way better than last week) Stomach upset, bloating, nausea. Was wondering if something like Pepto Bismol would be beneficial.

2 Likes

Yes! Total disruption of my GI tract. I actually thought I had gotten a stomach virus from the recent vacation I had gone on.

First day after quitting I had explosive diarrhea after eating my breakfast (which was only Greek yogurt a with walnuts and raspberries). I thought maybe the yogurt was bad or I had developed a lactose intolerance. But then it happened again with lunch (which was peanut butter a jelly sandwich with an orange and some tortilla chips). Didn’t eat dinner because I was afraid it might come back up.

Next day I had toast with jam for breakfast and the same thing happened—about an hour later I was prisoner to the toilet. Bad bad stomach cramping and I was walking around all morning with a barf bag because the nausea was so bad.

Day three I was lightly nauseous all day. But each time I had a meal (I’m following a bland diet to try to cleanse and reset) but every time I eat, the food goes right through me and I’m on the toilet an hour after eating.

Today it’s day four without weed and I still have nausea and diarrhea no matter what I try to eat. I have such anxiety, thinking I’m sick and going to throw up, but it’s only strengthening my resolve to quit. Any suggestions on easing this stomach discomfort are welcome. Thank you for the support.

4 Likes

Hy Nichibry and welcome to the Weedless Forum!

Kudos to you for making the decision to quit, even though your stomach is giving you some serious troubles. Let’s try to tame this unruly tummy together:

Stay Hydrated: Your stomach might be throwing a tantrum, but don’t forget to keep the fluids flowing.

Bland Diet: Stick to the classics: rice, plain toast, bananas, and applesauce – the BRAT diet, your stomach’s idea of comfort food.

Ginger: Ginger has natural anti-nausea properties. You can try ginger tea, ginger candies, or ginger ale (make sure it contains real ginger) to help alleviate nausea.

Peppermint: Peppermint tea or peppermint candies can also be soothing for nausea and digestive discomfort.

Pepto helped me. It eased the nausea and made it so I wasn’t a prisoner to the bathroom. It’s almost day 7 and my stomach isn’t back to normal yet but my appetite is returning and food doesn’t go through me as quickly.

1 Like