I Quit, I'm on Day Four

[INTRO] I’m on day four of the rest of my life and I couldn’t be more miserable/happy! Where to begin? I’m a male on the back half of my thirties. I have a job, girlfriend, friends, and family and not a single one of them knows of my addiction/use. I guess you could say that I’m a… That I was a highly functional user. I could be with family and friends, high as all Hell, and you’d never be able to tell. Being in this position is a little difficult as I don’t intend to use support from people I know (personal reason.) But, anyways, this is my formal way of saying that I’ve quit. And it may just be in an online forum, a proclamation to complete strangers, but it feels great!

[SIDENOTE] After reading through the Weedless website, I’ve felt compelled to add my own story to help keep me honest, but also for ANYONE ELSE going through a similar situation. In other words, we’re all each other’s support system.

[HOW IT STARTED] Growing up I was way into sports and always against drugs. Once my athletic days were behind me, I guess curiosity really got the best of me. I’ve been on and off again (sometimes going years between hits) since my mid-twenties, but over the past three years have only missed a handful of days. I should point out that by the time Covid hit, I switched to using Delta 8 Carts as they were convenient for when I couldn’t get the real deal (pretty much just D8 carts recently) and that’s kind of where this whole thing took off. It started off as something to help with a couple of aches and pains, sleep, and boredom, but has since took off exponentially. They say weed isn’t addictive, but I’d beg to differ.

[MY REASON FOR QUITTING] I have multiple reasons. One would be that I want to be more “present.” Things like my parents are getting older and my brother just had a daughter. I want to clearly remember those moments before time takes that opportunity away.

Next would be my health. I’ve had trouble paying attention. Things I used to love, no longer felt the same or even felt like an obligation. A lot of mental stuff. Sometimes I feel that I’m out of breath or that I’m not getting enough air into my lungs. I’m over it and honestly, I’d like to start running again. I’ve had two really bad instances where it sent me into a panic, not fun. After my most recent, this past Sunday. I’ve come to the conclusion that my bad habit will eventually kill me and made the decision to just quit.

It’s just time. I’ve quit other things cold turkey (Dip as well as nicotine vapes.} I’m an experienced quitter. I know what withdrawal from substances and what quitting an addiction is like. It’s not fun, it hard, and it’s a marathon. But I also know what it’s like when that quitting process is done (and it’s better than any high I’ve had.) I’m more than ready to smash through the withdrawal symptoms to get to a better life. I’ve been wanting to quit for a while. It was a stupid mistake I made in my younger years that I let get out of control, and really, it’s just time for me to grow the eff up.

[WHAT’S REALLY HELPED ME THUS FAR] Honestly, this website has. The “Weedless Guide” is an amazing resource and reminds me of a similar thing I used for quitting nicotine. The other would be this forum. I know it’s incredibly new, but I read about a guy that’s been 400 plus days sober. I know it’s just a statement from a random guy on the internet, but just reading that truly made me feel inspired! Also, having an outlet where I can put my thoughts into words for myself and others has been very therapeutic and writing this has kept my mind occupied. Maybe I’ll start writing a journal? After all, I do need a new hobby.

One weird thing that’s worked for me when I quit nicotine is to basically declare your habit your number one enemy and make a “Hate List.” I don’t like the word hate, I know “hate” is a strong word, but it’s time to get serious. Just find as many reasons to hate it as you can, seriously, make a hate list and refer to it when you feel the urge. It helped me so much in the past and it’s already helped me with this. I had really bad urges days 1-2, but I’ve now come up with enough reasons to hate weed, that now it disgusts me to even think about it. I know it’s all phycological, but for me, it just works. I’m quitting for good and there’s no way in hell we’ll ever be together again.

One more recommendation, especially if you’re experiencing anxiety and insomnia. Look into the supplement PharmaGABA. It basically works by telling your brain to shut up and relax. I had a really bad panic attack my second day, racing thoughts, shortness of breath, extreme anxiety. I don’t really believe in miracle cures, but this surprisingly worked and within 20 minutes to boot. It also somewhat helped with falling asleep. I don’t think I slept my first two days, but definitely did for a few hours on my third (although it took a while to fall asleep.) But, as with anything, don’t take my word for it, do your own research! I am the opposite of a doctor.

[CLOSING] As of right now, I’ve already experienced all the classic symptoms and I’ve already found ways in which I can combat them. I do intend to post a little about my journey to recovery. I’m so proud of what I’ve already accomplished, seriously making it four consecutive days was something I doubted, and here I am! If you’re going through it, you’re not alone, and I hope and pray that your journey goes well. Best of luck, stay strong!

7 Likes

I’m new to this site myself and it was great to read your post. I’m on day 7 and it has been hard. I feel depressed and anxious pretty strongly at times but then certain parts of the day it goes away a bit and I feel relieved. I’ve exercised the last 2 days and that has been great. I’m 53 and have been smoking since I was 18. Ugh! I’m also high-functioning and have managed to do all the adult things and be a productive part of society, but I need weed to make me feel normal, to get me up in the morning, and to deal with anything tedious, annoying, or stressful, I also need it to have fun. It was my mom’s dream for me to go on a trip to Europe with her and we went for 3 weeks and I felt I couldn’t really enjoy myself because I missed weed. I have wanted to quit for so long but can’t get through how sad and “off” I feel. This time though I am going to do it and I keep saying to myself to get through 30 days and I should be feeling better. I read a book called Dopamine Nation that made me feel confident that 30 days would be good for resetting my brain chemistry. This website has also been great for me to turn to each day, especially when I’m feeling extra down. Thank you for sharing and for the encouraging words. We’ll stay strong together! Oh, and I’m going to look into the PharmaGaba. My friend, who does not smoke, is taking it based on the advice of her naturapath and she says she likes it. Oh and though there are many reasons for quitting, the biggest is that the memory issues have gotten worse and worse with each passing decade. It’s scary!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the response! I actually should be on my 7th day but couldn’t bring myself to quit before the last weekend. So, first weekend without it, wish me luck! It’s kind of funny that almost everything you’ve described sounds exactly like me, especially to where you need to have it to enjoy things and have fun. I’ll definitely have to check out Dopamine Nation, sounds like a good read, and I need stuff to take up my time.

I’m glad you posted your story, it’s a good feeling to know that we’re not alone. There are others going through it and in every stage imaginable. I guess since I’ve hidden my addicition to everyone, I’ve been embarrased to really talk about it. But really, since writing everything down and posting it, it’s like a weight has been lifted. I’m on Day 5, currently going through it and honestly, couldn’t be happier. My morning was pretty rough today, but the rest of the day has pretty much been fine. I’ve really had no cravings as of yet, which has been a shocker, but I think it’s just me knowing that my true, new and improved, weedless self, returns in less than a month. And I really can’t wait for that person to return!

Feel free to message me if you’re ever really feeling it. I intend on using this forum as my daily support group. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a two-way street. A little bit of love and support goes a long way. And, if me writing in some online forum helps someone out that is in a very similar situation to me, then I’m all for it! It’s really cool what can happen when a group of people with a like-minded goal works together. I believe in you, I believe in me, and I believe that anyone that wants to quit, definitely has the ability to.

2 Likes

Creating a “Hate List” may indeed seem strong, but sometimes, in order to break free from a powerful addiction, we need to be resolute and assertive. Overcoming addiction is not just a physical battle but also a psychological one. By associating your habit with negative emotions and consequences, you are reprogramming your mind to disassociate from the urge and to reinforce your commitment to quitting. Identifying and internalizing the reasons why you want to quit can be a powerful tool in staying on track.
As you mentioned, your approach may be psychological, but that doesn’t diminish its effectiveness. In fact, the power of the mind is incredible, and using it to your advantage is a smart strategy. Keep up the great work!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I’m just getting started too and sharing our stories feels incredibly liberating, especially when I feel reluctant to be so open with my family and friends, who are no doubt in the dark about my excessive use. Its comforting to know that others face similar challenges. Also just writing about my thoughts and experiences feels therapeutic in and of itself.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m on day 9. I feel like I’m going insane

1 Like

So far, the fact that I shared my story has been the most impactful thing thus far and I’m only a couple days into it. It does put a little bit more pressure on me to to stick with it knowing that I’ve connected with like-minded people. Not only do I not want to let myself down, but I also don’t want to let you all down as well. The biggest battle, for me anyways, is the psychological part.

2 Likes

I am the random (actually the administrator of Weedless) Guy who is presently at over 450 days clean and sober. I am 70 and have been around the sun with many many experiences with more substances than I need to list.

After 40 plus years of use and abuse I was clean for 10 years. Then foolishly enough, being an addict, I entered the Medical Marijuana arena. 2 1/2 years and I finally had had enough. This time it’s forever.

Over 30 years I have been around the earth two times in miles. Marathon, Triathlon Olympic Distance, serious Road Biking and so much more. I was always extremely athletic and stoned while doing so much of it.

I had an extremely successful sales career spanning 46 years. I am now retired.

Before May 2, 2023 I could not put 2 days together, but here I am and reading your amazing tale, I know you will be too​:pray::hugs::pray::hugs:

5 Likes

I actually come from a bit of an athletic background myself. I’m really tackling my issues a lot like I would when I was practicing or training for something and that’s helped a lot. You don’t really get results unless you work through all the pain and not so fun stuff. It’s tedious and it takes time. I’m really looking forward to getting into working out again but need to wait till it’s less hot. I haven’t felt that motivated in years and I feel like it’s just around the corner.

Thank you so much for your story as it was the initial one that compelled me to post mine. I really didn’t care if anyone read it, but knew that if and when someone did, I could also be helping them out as well. I look forward to joining you in sobriety in about 3 weeks!

3 Likes

Withdrawal is a bitch!
Weed is extremely insidious, it literally gets into every cell in a human body. It is a very slow (and for most people) a very painful process physically and big time emotionally.

I promise you that if you can hang in there and stay away from the Weed, that over time, what you are experiencing so early on, will become less and less. The first 90 days were very tough for me.

Try not to focus on every sensation, emotion you are experiencing, You will only make the process that much more difficult. Distract yourself, exercise, watch movies, read books, go to the movies.

Wishing you strength and perseverance​:pray::hugs::pray::hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the positive message. I hope tomorrow I don’t crash….I’ve done a great job keeping bust today, but am already stressing about trying to sleep tonight. Thank goodness I work in a school and we don’t start until after Labor Day. I honestly don’t think I would have made it if I had to work while trying to quit :grimacing:

2 Likes

Don’t lay in bed stressing over not being able to sleep. Get out of bed and distract yourself.

Try your best not to stress over every symptom and emotion you experience. Get out of the house, out into the sunshine for a dose of Vitamin D.

It does get better but the only solution is time. There are no shortcuts, no magic bullet.

Sending hugs and prayers.

Quitting is no walk in the park, but it is doable!

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The perfect time to quit - when school starts you will be feeling much better in all likelihood!! Keep your eye on the prize!!

2 Likes

Hey
Thanks for sharing your story! Really helps
Me on my journey
Are you still going strong?
I’m day 28 and craving pretty hard
I guess it doesn’t help my partner still smokes and I have to smell it everyday

3 Likes

I am so proud of the concerted effort you have put forth and believe from what you wrote that you were finally sick and tired of being sick and tired.

There is no specific way to become clean and sober, so if the strategies you mentioned work you, bravo👏

I can’t even remember all that went up in smoke over my lifetime with Weed☹️ All that I missed, was to numb to truly experience, but I promise you that the difficult journey you are on, will come back to you in spades🙏

Hope to see you around often​:pray::hugs::pray::hugs::pray:

2 Likes

Everyone is in a different situation and has different support some have none but what we all have in common is that we all want to quit because we’ve had nuff of our addiction IV smoked since I was nine years old and am 60 now the last five years I have tried so many times to quit and finally Iv gone cold turkey and am free 1 month this Friday I have no urge anymore but I know I’m an addict and if I have one spliff I’ll be back on it no way it’s all in the mind

2 Likes

Welcome @40years !

I guess you could say you’ve been smoking for so long that your addiction has its own retirement plan! :joy: Congratulations on your one month of freedom, and remember, if temptation ever knocks, feel free to check in here. We’ve got your back and will do our best to keep you on track.

Best wishes!!

1 Like

Hey 40! I’m a long time user as well. Just over a month weedless for me. It gets easier.

Thank you for that amazing share!

Thank you for being so very open and honest and for bearing your soul🙏

Keep writing, journaling!

Wishing you many more positives with your life without Weed!

Today is 523 days clean and sober for me. Prior to May 2, 2022 I could not put 2 days together. We are capable of so many small and not so small achievements if we just believe in ourselves​:pray::hugs::pray::hugs: